Silvia Boarini is an Italian journalist working across a variety of media. She is based in the Levant where she produces articles, photo-stories as well as audio and video documentaries that chart social injustices and the efforts of civil society to redress them.
She is particularly interested in the challenges faced by minorities and indigenous populations who are excluded from the constructed order of the state. She studied photojournalism at the London College of Printing in London and gained an MSc International Politics from SOAS.
Silvia’s work has appeared in outlets such as Radio Tre RAI, Al Jazeera English, AJ+, Repubblica, BBC, Nigrizia, Narcomafie, British Journal of Photography, You Magazine, TAZ, Daily Telegraph, D di Repubblica, IPS , Vanity Fair Italia and others. In 2015 she completed the documentary ‘Empty Desert‘, on the Bedouin village of Al Araqib, in the Naqab.
Silvia’s series on Negev Bedouins, ‘Bedouin Land‘, and on life under occupation, ‘Land of the Prickly Pears‘, received honourable mentions at the International Picture Award (IPA). ‘Land of the Prickly Pears‘ was shortlisted for the ‘Tom Webster Award for Photojournalism’. ‘The Last Rag and Bone Man‘ was featured on BBC London.
Bedouin Land, a series on Negev Bedouins has been exhibited at:
• Various locations in France between 2011 and 2015
• Silverprint’s gallery, London 2011
• Amnesty International Human Rights Centre, London 2010
Veterans, a series on ex-soldiers dealing with PTSD was exhibited at:
• Singapore International Photography Festival, Singapore 2009
The last Rag and Bone Man, an essay on Alfie Masterson was exhibited at:
• Chalk Farm Library, London 2004
• Eleven, Utopia gallery, London 2011
• ‘The looking glass’ a group summer show, Claire de Rouen Bookshop, London 2009
• London Independent Photography group exhibition, Cotton’s Centre, London 2008
• Rise, London United festival with a selection from ‘New Citizens‘, various locations, London 2007
• 100 years of the National Union of Journalists, Sadler’s Wells, London 2005
• Ian Parry Scholarship group exhibition, Tom Blau Gallery, London 2004
• PGDip Photojournalism end of year exhibition, London College of Printing, London 2004
• Winning Pictures from the National Photo Association Contest, first prize with the essay ‘Bowling Green‘, Italy 2003
Copyright Notice: All content of this website is property of Silvia Boarini © All Rights reserved. For permission to use or download any part of this website please visit the contact page to email Silvia Boarini.